Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Irish Soda Bread

This week’s recipe Irish Soda Bread, on page 214 with Baking with Julia was a big hit at my house. With just 4 ingredients, it really doesn’t get much simpler than this! The basic ingredients are flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk. Yup, just four ingredients! I followed the nontraditional recipe and added one cup of raisins to sweeten it up just a bit, and I am glad I did because the bread was delicious!
There is not much I can say about this recipe because all I did was mix everything together, turned it onto a floured surface and kneaded it a little, shaped it into a disk, cut a hash mark in the top and voila, that was it!

What a Beauty!
As you can see, my bread turned a beautiful golden color, thanks to a hint from my friend Laura. I brushed egg wash on top before I put it into the oven, and as you can see, it came out golden and delicious looking. Thanks Laura!
Love the color...
Next Month’s recipes:
April 3, 2012- Pizza Rustica, pages 430 and 431.
April 17, 2012- Lemon Loaf Cake, pages 252 and 253.


4 comments:

  1. Egg wash--brilliant! I should keep that in mind for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks gorgeous! Glad to hear the egg wash idea worked out. Wish I was there to try a piece. Mine was a little dry and I think I probably should have added more buttermilk. Had a piece for breakfast, it was a wonderful accompaniment to my daily morning smoothie- I could definitely get used to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this bread was so easy it almost made itself.
    Lovely job

    ReplyDelete