Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chocolate Truffle Tartlets




This week’s recipe was Chocolate Truffle Tartlets on pg. 382 of Baking with Julia cookbook. The recipe makes 6 tartlets, and I was excited to use my new tartlet pans. I followed the recipe to a tee, but next time, and oh there will be a next time, I think I will add nuts to the recipe. I think the nuts will be an excellent addition and will add something more than just chocolate.

The recipe called for Dutch pressed cocoa powder but couldn’t find any in my area. I did find premium cocoa powder by Saco Foods, it’s a special blend of natural & ditched cocoa. I also used all Ghirardelli chocolate for both the chocolate dough and filling. I have to say, this recipe is very chocolaty, but absolutely delicious!!!


Dough right out of the oven

I chose to make the dough in my food processor, and it turned out perfectly. I did not know this until I took it out of the refrigerator after 30 minutes. When it first came out of the food processor, it looked dry and was very crumbly. It rolled out nicely and was able to get them into my tartlet pans without a problem.


Tartlets ready for the oven

The next time that I make these, I will make sure to have some vanilla bean ice cream and berries in the house. It’s just me and my husband, and we were eating tartlets all weekend long!!  

Baked to perfection!
Next month’s recipe is Rugelach, March 6th, and Irish Soda Bread, March 20. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. They look beautiful Karen! I know your friend will love these! Made mine into 10 inch tart, turned out pretty good. First bite will be tomorrow- a great chocolate caffeine boost in teh morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura. The recipe was fun to make and we really enjoyed them. They definitely need something like ice cream or berries at serving time, but still really good.
      Have a great day!!

      Delete
  2. I thought the food processor did a very nice job with the dough and I was glad I used it.
    Vanilla ice cream was definitely a must for this much chocolate!

    ReplyDelete